According to the English Place-Name Society the name of the village derives from the Old English for either ‘Stags’ hill’ or ‘hill connected with Heorta’. Hartington was mentioned in the Domesday book as belonging to Henry de Ferrers and being worth forty shillings. The parish was originally quite large, and part of the hundred of Wirksworth. Hartington had four townships, known as the Town Quarter, Nether Quarter, and Middle Quarter, and Upper Quarter, which are now all separate parishes. These became separate civil parishes in their own right in 1866.
For more information on the history of Hartington please visit the Hartington History group page which can be found here Hartington History Group