Hartington Primary School is a Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School and there has been a school on the site since 1866. There is evidence to suggest that formal education in Hartington goes back a good deal earlier than this date as a School Master was appointed by the Dean of Hartington in 1758 to teach in what is now called the Old School House. The earliest tuition, however, almost certainly took place in St. Giles Church for many years prior to the 18th Century.
The present school was extended and remodelled in 1965 and now enjoys excellent facilities for a school of its size.
At one time of course it was an all age establishment taking pupils between the ages of 5 and 14 years. Today, however, pupils are accepted the academic year in which they have their fifth birthday and leave for secondary education at the age of 11 years. The majority of pupils transfer for secondary education to Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School at Ashbourne.
The school is at the heart of the village community and it is our intention that links between young and old in the village be as strong and supportive as possible.
For further information please see the school website http://www.hartington.derbyshire.sch.uk/