Hartington Station

  • Hartington Signal Box

    Hartington Signal Box on the Tissington Trail

Hartington railway station opened in 1899 about two miles away from the village it served – Hartington (grid reference SK129604) in Derbyshire, south east of Buxton.

It was on the Ashbourne Line built by the LNWR as a branch from the Cromford and High Peak Railway (which ran from Whaley Bridge to Cromford) at Parsley Hay.

To the north of the station is Hand Dale viaduct. It was reported that when digging the foundations for the piers, remains of a lead mine, in which the miners had perished, were discovered.

In common with the other stations on this line, the platforms and buildings were of timber construction. From Parsley Hay to Ashbourne, the line was single with passing loops at the stations, but provision was made for doubling, which never occurred.[2] Like all the stations on the line, it was popular with ramblers, and had both a ladies’ and a general waiting room, with a booking office. However, its distance from the village meant that when bus services began, it lost much of its local trade. Like the other intermediate station it had no footbridge so passengers arriving at the entrance and requiring the down platform had to walk to the end and use the barrow crossing. Water for both the station and the nearby Hartington Quarry was brought by rail using a tender.

Regular passenger services ended in 1954, but excursions continued until 1963. Freight continued until October of that year, the track to Ashbourne finally being lifted in 1964.

The track bed from Ashbourne to Parsley Hay was acquired by Derbyshire County Council in 1968 and the Peak National Park for a cycle and walking route. This, the Tissington Trail, was one of the first of such ventures in the country. Later, Ashbourne Tunnel was acquired by Sustrans.
Of the station buildings, the typical LNWR signal box has been preserved as a visitor centre.

Today, this is also an alternative southern starting point of the Pennine Bridleway, joining the main trail at nearby Parsley Hay.

Text © Copyright Wikipedia and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence  

 

The signal box here still held a lever frame at the time the picture was taken. Both platforms originally possessed booking facilities, which, for such a seemingly isolated station (situated more than a mile from the village it served) seems somewhat extravagant, but Hartington was one of the most patronised on the line. All stations were of modular construction in an attempt at standardisation. The track was lifted between July and October 1969 and the site is now a well used point on the Tissington Trail. The actual date of the photograph is not recorded. 

© Copyright Richard Bird and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Place Categories: Sites of Interest.Place Tags: Hartington Station and Tissington Trail.

Related Listing

Report this?

Send To Friend

Captcha Verification
captcha image

Send Enquiry

Captcha Verification
captcha image

Claim Listing

What is the claim proccess?

Captcha Verification
captcha image

Hartington Village

Welcome to the Hartington Village community website. All events happening in the village and surroundings will be detailed on here as well as local business listings. You will also be able to find the latest "news and views" and archive copies.

Latest News